As with all genomic tests, the Breast Recurrence Score® test is performed on the tumor tissue that’s already been removed from your breast during your surgery or biopsy.
Once it has arrived at the Exact Sciences lab,* the tissue undergoes the genomic Breast Recurrence Score test to measure the activity of cancer-related genes that are in your tumor tissue. The activity of these genes can provide important information about how your specific tumor might behave in the future, including:
- How likely your tumor is to return
- How likely your tumor is to spread to other parts of your body
- How likely your tumor will respond to chemotherapy
Talking to your doctor about the Breast Recurrence Score test
Like other lab tests, the Breast Recurrence Score test must be ordered by a licensed healthcare provider (like your doctor). However, the decision of whether you should have the Breast Recurrence Score test is one that you and your doctor make together.
You may want to ask your doctor the following questions:
- What anatomic stage is my breast cancer, and what are the chances of my cancer coming back after surgery?
- Is my breast cancer hormone receptor-positive (HR+ or PR+)?
- What are my treatment options? What do you suggest for me and why?
- What are the benefits of each treatment option? What are the drawbacks/side effects of each one?
- How long do side effects of each treatment option last? Do they go away once treatment is complete?
- Is it okay to wait a few weeks to consider my treatment plan options before I have to make a decision about treatment?
- Am I a candidate for the Breast Recurrence Score test?
- If I am a candidate for the Breast Recurrence Score test, how could we use the test results to develop my treatment plan?
- How can I get a copy of my pathology report and my Breast Recurrence Score test report?
of Breast Recurrence Score test patients have $0 financial responsibility*
This calculation includes patients with Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, Managed Medicaid, and commercial insurance. Patient cost-sharing amounts, including deductibles and copays, will vary by plan and coverage type. Only your insurer can confirm if and how Breast Recurrence Score test will be covered.
of Breast Recurrence Score test patients have a financial responsibility of <$100*
This calculation includes patients with Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, Managed Medicaid, and commercial insurance. Patients with high-deductible plans may receive a bill for most or all the cost of the Breast Recurrence Score test if they have not satisfied their deductible.
* Testing performed at an Exact Sciences clinical lab in Redwood City, CA (Genomic Health, Inc.).
† The numbers cited are based on historical patient billing data from 1/2/2021 to 12/31/2021. Rates of coverage vary by state and region. Exceptions for coverage may apply. Exact Sciences strongly encourages you to contact your insurer with questions about the Breast Recurrence Score test coverage.